Monday, September 15, 2014

Li Hing powder and graveyards

Hey everyone!

Last p-day (Monday) we went bowling at the Cheyney Bowling Alley again and it was way fun! Free bowling for missionaries is always nice!

Spokane LDS Temple
We also started meeting with a former investigator who in the past has had some problems. His girlfriend wants to be married in the temple, but he doesn't or didn't want anything to do with the church. So now we're teaching him again and he actually seems to want to learn! We're still not sure though, because he's got all sorts of problems. so it's pretty interesting. We're really hesitant, because if you baptize someone who didn't have the real intent then their sins are heaped upon your shoulders.

Tuesday we had the opportunity to meet with Sister Blackwolfe, who is still a potential investigator, and she apparently thought she offended us on Sunday when she took the Sacrament, so we had to explain to her that anyone can partake of the communion, but when you are baptized it is the renewing of covenants which makes it have extra meaning. We also had dinner at the Cuevas and it was way fun, Awesome food! Spaghetti! Just like Daddy used to make! Also, Elder Lyden is making me teach more, which is good, but at times I'm really nervous about it.

Wednesday was district meeting and we went to Costa Vida afterward and I actually met the owner
of all the Costa Vidas and he lives in Cedar City! It was pretty random and funny! He offered to deliver something home, but I didn't have anything to send! it was great to meet someone from back home, though!

Thursday and Friday we helped the Lowrys move and just like that, they're gone. They have an amazing story!

Friday we had dinner at the Johnson's again and it was Broccoli soup, which was apparently pretty much like drinking Velveeta! It was amazing! Also, we got to teach the Coral family again and they actually decided to come to the service project on Saturday!

Saturday morning we did a ward service project, which was pretty much the coolest service project ever! We went to an "unendowed" section of Riverside Cemetery, which is where people that can't afford graves get buried. It was insane! We were basically chopping down a forest and uncovering headstones! Some of them were over 6 inches under the ground! It was so sad to see some of the headstones' poor conditions. It was amazing though to see the dedication of the ward in helping the forgotten graves be found and cleaned up! We probably uncovered over 100 headstones that had been buried from years of neglect! It was amazing! The spirit of Elijah was really present!

That evening we had dinner with the Coral family, It was amazing! My first bbq since I've been on the mission and it was soo, soo good! They introduced me to Ling Hi, which is a Hawaiian favorite! It's basically plum powder! It's so stinking good and I ate it on pretty much everything! They gave me a big handful to take home and eat! It was pretty hilarious!

Sunday was a weird one this week! It seemed like everyone we talked to had something crazy going on! During Priesthood quorum, a little girl in the ward was brought to her father because she was upset and the teacher couldn't calm her. I was able to use one of the CTR stickers that Carrie (Mom's work friend) had given me. It made the little girl so happy and then by the time class was over she was happy again. It was cute and I just loved that I was able to help the little family be happier.

Also, I found a ward member who can play "I'll Find you my Friend," and we might start practicing so we can sing it for church and maybe the ward talent show coming up in October! It's so much fun and I've just loved having that song around me. I have a copy of the lyrics on my desk that I try to read everyday so I can remember why I'm here and stay motivated to work diligently to find my friend.

That's pretty much a summary of this week.

I just have to bear my testimony that I know this church is so true. I have no doubts. The Gospel blesses so many people's lives and I'm so happy to see it. I've seen so many miracles while I've been out here and I love studying the scriptures so much! The gospel is so amazing and it's wonderful to be able to share it with all of those who haven't had a chance to hear it yet. And it's so amazing to see the changes it brings to peoples lives to help them to live happily and remove burdens from their lives. Repentance is so powerful and the Atonement is so real! I've seen it in my own life and in the lives of those around me.

Keep the faith!
Love you all!
Elder Bryce Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment