Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Crazy Little Thing Called a Mission

Hi everybody! Sorry I'm a day late, I guess p-days don't happen on holidays like labor day.

So this week has been crazy and full of miracles and weird stuff as always down here in Spo-compton!

I'll start off with some of the crazy stuff. I got the lights and air pump stolen off my bike, while it was locked up outside the church. I was really frustrated and it ended up costing us some proselyting time because we need the lights to get home safely most every night due to it getting darker sooner. Fortunately my companion had an extra set for me to use till I can buy another. But still, very frustrating.

Also, I'm really loving Spokane lately. I recently found a part of the town that is a super nice neighborhood and right in the middle of it is a giant forest! It was insane! Like the parents could just get sick of their children and make them go camping!

Yesterday I went on exchanges with Elder Doxey. It was a super great experience! Both Elder Doxey and I became more willing to talk to people and we ended up talking to pretty much everyone we saw! It was so much fun! We talked to a Viet Nam vet who basically ranted on about how people need to be more like us missionaries and the end of the world is coming soon. that's been a strangely common theme among conversations lately -- the end of the world, the second coming, Armageddon, the Rapture. all of that fun stuff, that and jw's. Also with Elder Doxey, we were talking to random people, and this guy started talking about a church being vandalized and so we offered to help.. sorta.. and then we ended up at a Rehab church mopping the floors and stuff, it was super random and funny! They said it was a high person who broke into the church. This town is strange. Everyone seems to be smoking, 2nd marriage, adopted, recovering drug addict, pretty much everything strange with the world. While on exchanges, we went to Mcdonalds for dinner and this random drunk guy decided he wanted to talk about how god is an alien, like ET stuff. He was very contentious and strange, all sorts of weird stuff going on.

This Sunday we were so excited! We had several of our investigators come to church! One was a surprise! She came because she promised Elder Lyden almost 2 months ago that she would come and then she felt the spirit so strongly that she cried all through the Sacrament and during much of the first talk. It was amazing!

Also this Sunday, I made my first big greenie mistake! A guy came in asking when church started and then we told him 1 but he was there at 11, so we gave him a quick church tour and then I got all excited cause I was feeling the spirit and gave him a BoM and he got weirded out because we think he was trying to go to the Pentacostal church across the street. Oops! Hopefully he'll read the BoM!

One new investigator I'm particularly excited about is named Worth. She is a little older, and she used to be a ballet dancer, she has no living family, no children, was never married. She is really sweet and kind and she was so happy to see us missionaries again. I guess they stopped seeing her about a year ago. She has soft a sweet spirit and a high respect for Mormons and especially missionaries. We're planning to go visit her later this week. I'm really excited.

The Mitma's are doing great, they missed church this week, but Sis Mitma was feeling sick. We taught them the Plan of Salvation and it only took one lesson! It was so great! We used the diagram that the primary usually uses and wrote down exactly what we wanted them to know on flash cards and then just taught simply. It was perfect! 

Oh! Random weird stuff again! So we were teaching a lesson to a member on her porch in the super ghetto part of town and then this lady comes walking down the street holding a huge rock and talking way loud to herself and cursing and stuff about how she was gonna go smash some b's head with a rock and all sorts of other fun language! It was hilarious once she was out of sight! (the cops never showed up so we assume nothing happened) but it was super weird and hilarious!

Allergies have been acting up lately, which is okay I guess, except that in addition to the pollen a lot of people have dogs or even worse cats and sometimes I can barely see or breath because of it.

That's about everything. I just want you (Mom and Dad) to know that I really appreciate the way you raised me, the examples you are through the way you live, and the love you show for me and my siblings. Coming out here has helped me to realize just how great I had it at home and how much other people lack some of the basics of the things that help families be happy. All of these people just lack that foundation of love that I was so blessed to have because of you. So, Yeah, thank you


Much love and prayers to everyone!
-Elder Bryce Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment