Saturday, August 2, 2014

Farewell Talk

Good afternoon, brothers and sisters.

My name is Elder Bryce Jacob Griffin, I have been called to the Spokane Washington, English speaking Mission.

A little bit about my mission

- Because I am going to Washington state on my mission, that means I am going from the 110 degrees, 10% humidity Washington here in Utah to the Washington where the average temperature is 70 Degrees and Much more humid.
*Apparently, they have this thing up there that’s called “snow” and it stays for longer than two days during the year, so I’m a little scared about that. It should be a blast though

  • My mission covers the eastern half of Washington, the top of Idaho, the west edge of Montana and a small area in Canada, so I am going to a foreign Mission. “Eh?”

- I will be in the Provo MTC for 12 days.


Today I have been asked to speak on obtaining faith in Christ. I am going to be using several references including Richard G. Scott’s talk “I have given you an example,” Alma 26:27 and several other quotes.

Richard G. Scott said, “At vital times in my life, Father in Heaven blessed me with someone who cared for me enough to help guide my choices in an appropriate direction.”

I have seen in my own life, different instances where heavenly father sends specific people into my life, to help guide me on my way back to him. Individuals such as my parents, family members, quorum members, friends, church leaders, school teachers and many other people to help guide my life.

Many of them have no idea the difference they have made in my life. Whether it is through just being an example to me of how I should live my life or through being there for me when I needed someone to talk to. Many individuals have helped me to develop a strong testimony of my savior, Jesus Christ.

*Richard G Scott’s Grandma story—
As I’ve been preparing for my mission, I’ve had questions that I needed to be answered. Places where my faith was weak and I needed someone else’s testimony to strengthen mine.
At times I could see myself skipping my mission. Satan is tricky that way. All of these blessings I have received make it so easy to just say, what’s the point of serving a mission? I have a loving family, a college education ready for me, scholarships I have received, dear friends who I don’t want to leave. It could’ve been so easy to say the mission is not for me. It appears as though my life could be perfectly happy without serving a mission.
I would often become sad and afraid at the thought of leaving because everything here is perfect. I would consider turning back from my preparations to serve a mission and just go to college and skip this stage of life.

At times like this I found comfort in Alma 26:27
It says “Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.”
This scripture would help me remember how much heavenly father wants me to obey. And if I obey he will bless me in ways I cannot even comprehend.
At times I would even question this. When I was weakest in testimony, heavenly father sent many of the individuals I mentioned before to help strengthen me.
One individual in particular had the kindness to take me to lunch to discuss the answers to the questions of my soul. He was able to give me the advice I needed, just by simply explaining his prior experiences and telling me:
If you are doing what’s right, Heavenly father will take care of you. You don’t need to doubt it. Heavenly father won’t leave you hanging if you sacrifice yourself for his work. Everything will be taken care of. Of that you can be sure.”
I know he is right. What he said was exactly what I needed to hear. I know heavenly father loves me and wants to bless me. Satan wants me to let little doubts to stand in the way of one of the best experiences of my life. My mission.
My family has a song about mission work that I have grown to love ever since my father has shown it to me. It is called “Tu hallare me amigo” or in English (because I am not going Spanish speaking) I’ll find you my friend.
I would like to share with you the lyrics:
There was this place called the pre-existence, 

Where we lived with our friends so dear.
A council was called
 And Plans were made,

Free agency is why we're here
Our Savior said please find my lost sheep
And teach them and bring them home.
I promised my Savior I'll find them

And teach them the way to go.
My time has come to teach the gospel.
There are souls out there who are gold.
The gospel of Jesus Christ rolls forth and
this is what they need to be told.
And if your joy be great with one soul,
you have taught and have brought unto me.
How great will your heart be exalted ,
To bring many unto me.
I'll go and find you my friend
, I'll help you.Our Savior's plan is the way. Please accept me when I find you.

And we'll be back with him someday.
Remember the worth of souls is great.

In the light and the sight of God.
Look and search and teach his sheep, 
To find the Iron Rod
Look and search and teach his sheep
, To find the Iron Rod.
In life it is sometimes difficult to do the things that we know that we should do. However, by practicing faith in Christ and going forward even when our doubts and fears might cause us to consider a different direction we can have experiences and blessings in our lives far beyond what we can comprehend.
I have seen others choose to follow their faith in Christ. Even though they have adversity in their lives, we all will, they seem to handle it with more peace and happiness. They have greater joy in their homes. I want to have the blessings of an eternal family and I know that by having faith in Christ and doing the things I should I can have the kind of life I want for myself.

I have had many people offer advice concerning my mission. The most recurring theme has been “obedience.” The best way I’ve heard it put is “the work is simple, Just be obedient. Nothin to it but to do it”

Testimony on how others have help build my faith in Christ.
I am excited to get out and do the lord’s work


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment